AMNESTY INTERNASIONAL

BAPPINDO

My call to action as a student activist was through an Urgent Action that alerted me to the arrest of Jenni Williams and Magodonga Mahlangu, two leaders of the social justice movement Women and Men of Zimbabwe Arise (WOZA). WOZA, a movement that promotes civil and human rights for all Zimbabweans through strictly peaceful, non-violent mobilization efforts has been the target of police brutality for years. In response to their peaceful activism riot police often beat and arrest members merely for expressing their constitutional and international rights.

After being alerted of their situation, I knew I could not be silent. The next day, I went to the center of campus with a stack of blank papers, envelopes and pens. I stood silently at first, deciding how to engage my fellow students and fearing that no one would be compelled to stand up for human rights defenders in Zimbabwe. I did not know what to expect from my peers, but hundreds came out and took action while hurrying to class, biking home, or on their way to meet friends. They affirmed my passion for human rights and made me incredibly optimistic about the power and desire students have to create impact by making their voices heard.


Komentar

Postingan populer dari blog ini

ATURAN JADI PEGAWAI NEGERI